Thursday, July 18, 2013

Calligraphically

Intern time at the library ran long tonight as we were getting ready for tomorrow's big teen night (which I unfortunately am missing)  One of the things we had to do was get the prizes read for the teen book trailers which some of the kids have been working on.  Ellen claims that neither she nor Shelly have good handwriting, so I volunteered to be the scribe.  That lead to this wondering.  I do not claim to write well enough for it to be called calligraphy, but it was the only shorthand type word I could think of for "write pretty and sort of fancy".  And then I found myself wondering if there was a verb for writing in calligraphy or as I have learned, to write calligraphically.  To create a transcription is to transcribe something.  But to create calligraphy...well, as far as I can tell there isn't a word for that.  You don't 'calligraph' something. 

Dictionary.com only offers noun, adjective and adverb forms of the word. 

No comments: