Had some adventures tonight which I will detail more later. One thing involved was a large container of catnip dumped all over the floor of our living room and a cat covered in shaving cream.
So I wondered how catnip works. Because Tony always jokes that it's cat weed, and that it makes our cats stoned. I'm not sure that's exactly a correct comparison, so I wanted to do a little research.
- Catnip contains 14 different chemical components which cause a reaction in cats
- Some cats do not react to catnip
- The catnip response only lasts about 15 minutes
- Catnip is actually an effective mosquito repellant
- Kittens younger than 8 weeks will not react to catnip even if they possess the gene which causes reactions in adult cats. (When they reach adulthood, they WILL react)
Catnip and the Catnip Response
Economic Botany , Vol. 42, No. 2 (Apr. - Jun., 1988), pp. 214-231
Article Stable URL: http://www.jstor.org/stable/4255068